Ch-ch-ch-changes!
The move went as smoothly as a move can possibly go. I can't believe I packed my entire house up by myself in a week. That's two adults, two kids, 3 pets, 2 hobbies, a full playroom's worth of stuff.
My mother-in-law had come by Thursday night and picked up the kids so I had all day Friday to do whatever I needed to and that was when most of the packing was done. From sun up until way past sundown, I was packing away. I've never had as much a workout as I have had this past weekend.
I am exhausted.
I've been glad to be at work during the day where everything is in its place and I can reach out for whatever I want and know that it's there. Not having to scrounge through a box is a big relief.
How it all started was that hubby and three friends started hauling the big stuff like beds and furniture, large fixtures. Meanwhile, my girlfriend and I started wrapping and boxing all the glass and ceramic stuff in the kitchen. That was all that was left and I didn't want the guys tempted to move it which they would be if it had already been boxed.
When I was left completely alone in the house with my boombox and computer station, I did a walk through and all of my wonderful memories came flooding back. This had been a truly good home but it was only a rental and not ours to keep. I started life with "D". My daughters,"K" and "C" both had their first year of life here and learned how to walk here.
My father-in-law and his wife got a barbecue and baked potatoes going in the afternoon. They wanted us to have a good fridge so instead of letting us take the freebie we were offered, they bought us one. It's so cool and I was happy to clean it up immediately and put it to good use.
Apparently, our house is a draw for much of the neighborhood and my hubby has met most of the neighbors. One neighbor helped us move stuff into the house and went back with the guys for the second haul. We only had to do a second haul because one guy said he could only help haul the big stuff and had to leave. So, that left all the boxes in the house.
The neighbor's wife then came home from work and helped me empty out my first box.
To feel at peace, I set up the altar on the very first night. To feel at home, I cleaned the kitchen counters and sink and made my first pot of beans and Spanish rice. They were so good made on a gas stove that they were eaten up quickly and only enough was left for my hubby to have as lunch today. He'll be hanging up my pot rack so I can reach for whatever I need.
My girlfriend came over Sunday and helped me unpack some of the things she had helped me wrap while she asked for some advice on things. She is such a beautiful woman with a kind soul and I really did appreciate her presence. She got me to stop unpacking activity to enjoy the magnificent view. It was really peaceful.
Of course, the kids got home and we had temporary chaos. My mother-in-law can't help herself and started talking to me about decorating. We have completely different styles. She's very lace curtains and old-world style (for being a modern woman) and I'm very much into minimalism and simplicity (plain semi-sheer curtains, for example). I want open counter space with maybe one or two things on each and that's about it. Less things to clean.
If it were only me in this house, it would be West Elm-style all the way. Keeping it streamlined and clutter-free. My hubby has inherited his mother's pack-ratting behavior. Save it for a rainy day and all. But I feel that by hanging onto things, you are encouraging the thought that you will be unable to provide for yourself or be able to buy that thing later. Best to give the item to someone who will use it and if you do end up needing it, buy it later. Not that I am saying you should be materialistic and buy-buy-buy. Only that you should keep only what you use and allow someone else to have the benefit of something they can use. Most times, you don't ever really "need" much. It's more about want.
Now that we have moved in, I am getting rid of more items and giving many things to my father because I know he would appreciate them or be able to take them to a consignment shop for things he would like.
As for hubby, he is getting used to this and we joke about how easily a house can become Sanford and Son-like. We had some folks picking through the garbage in the back of the truck my FIL loaned us. Weird. Garbage, sure. But picking through things not marked as such? Weird.
Every box is in the room it is intended for and although it was the first thing I intended on doing, the kitchen is the last to be put away. Maybe, it's because I know exactly which box things are in and that it's temporary.
We're both tired and hope these long days of putting stuff away will end soon. We are on Day 5 and the last room is the kitchen. The house blessing is tomorrow and I'd like the house to be as set up as possible.
I am so unrealistic.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home